Keeping track of your pet can be a full-time job, we totally understand that! However, it is best to make sure to keep them away from these household items that could be very poisonous toy our pet. Some may seem obvious, but some of the items on this list may completely surprise you. It’s good to remember this list the next time a scrap hits the floor and you think it’s okay to let them grab it. The entire team at Basking Ridge Animal Hospital wants your pet to avoid danger at all costs!
Found in Tylenol and other medicine, this can cause liver damage in dogs and anemia in cats. Be careful around your cats, ingesting too much can be fatal.
This is a common one but it’s always good to get a reminder. For the record, dark chocolate is worse than milk and white chocolate, but even cocoa can be toxic if too much is ingested. If ingested, call us immediately. In both cats and dogs too much chocolate can cause seizures and even death.
3. Onions and Garlic
These items do not even need to be ingested to cause issues with your pet – chewing does enough damage. Digesting these items can cause anemia and stomach issues. Next time you’re cooking with either, be sure to keep a close eye on your pets.
4. Chewing Gum, Mints, and Toothpaste
All of these products contain Xylitol, a sweetener that can cause serious issues with your pets! The biggest issue you’ll need to worry about is liver failure. Keep your packs of gum and mints out of range of curious cats and excited dogs.
Grapes seem innocent enough, right? Think again. Even a small amount of grape juice or a raisin could cause issues as bad as kidney failure in your dog. Be careful with this one, some fruits are okay for dogs to ingest and some are not. Grapes absolutely are the latter.
6. Laundry Detergents
This is an obvious one but also worth mentioning. While laundry detergents used to be liquid and up on a shelf, we’re seeing more detergents in pod format and left under a sink or in a box in the laundry room. Ingesting these items will cause ulcers in your pet’s mouths and stomach.
There’s a good chance you have one or more of these items in your home, please keep them far away from your pets! If you have any questions about items that could potentially harm your pet, please do not hesitate to contact us!